Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Hospital Visit





So I took Dylan to the doctor on Friday Sept 14th because he was just always fussy. If he weren't eating or sleeping, he was fussing, most of the time inconsolably. I was there for nearly an hour, he was crying the entire time, all the while, I was trying my darndest to calm him down, tears sprung to my eyes as she sat there just looking at us, contemplating what to do for him. She said, well, it could be a few things, he might have acid reflux, or it might be meningitis. MENINGITIS!!!! AHHH!!! Is it treatable? I asked. Yes, but I need you to go to the ER at McKay Dee and get all the tests done. They need to get blood, urine, and spinal fluid. SPINAL FLUID!!! Are you kidding me?!?!? So I took him there, they ran all the tests including a chest X-Ray and found that he had Pnemonia. So we were in for a few days hospital stay at the least.

Anyhow, they got more blood, and did more tests including, a CAT Scan, EEG, tested his blood for Herpes, oh yeah, and he also had a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) POOR KID!!! As a mom, seeing your child going through all of these things, knowing the pain he is in, is a very hard thing.

The Meningitis test came back "Borderline" positive, the herpes test came back "Borderline" positive, and he had a high potassium count. Just kill me now! It was over the weekend, so I wasn't with his regular doctor and she was telling me that they were going to have to send us to Primary Childrens hospital to get a permanent pic line in so that I could give him long term anti-virals at home. I was flipping out! I had no idea he was this sick, no wonder he was always crying! So, come Sunday, my doctor was back in and she came in. She was fuming! She was angry that the other doctor did all of these tests that were unnecessary and then came in and told me what I was going to have to do.

So, all the tests, besides the pnemonia, came back negative the second time they did them, and we were able to go home on Monday. What a relief, I just had to keep him on his Antibiodics until the following sunday, and we would be done.

Dylan is a much happier kid now, although he does have Acid-Reflux which sometimes makes him cranky. Sometimes all of these trials in my life make me wonder "Why me?" But then I get to thinking all of the things that I am blessed with, which are infinite! Thank heavens for that!

2 comments:

2-Fold said...

Wow, what a day for you. It is so hard because you want to trust the doctor but, I bet you were relieved when you own doctor was back to check him out. I hope he is feeling better now.

Jamie said...

Oh, Kristin, I am so sorry! I hope that little guy is doing better now. What a stressful time that must have been.