Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Cool Dude



My little man, Dylan or Dilly-dally (my nick name for him) is doing better in his speech.  My friends have twin boys and I was reading through her blog one day and she had mentioned that her boys were in speech therapy.  OK, I thought to myself, Dylan hasn't said one word and he is 18 months old.  So I ask her, what do you think, would you take him in?  She suggested I take him to get tested.  It's at Weber Early Intervention and the testing is free.  So, the results... at 18 months he was at a 16 month level for fine motor skills, and Cognitive skills.  At a 13 month level for his language skills.  but at a 24 month level in gross motor, self help, and social skills.  So, we had some work to do.  I couldn't help but attribute it to the fact I can't spend as much one on one time with him.  I have twins who are only 16 months older and they DEMAND much of my time.  So the precious time I've had with Dylan wasn't enough.  He didn't even know where his eyes, and nose were.  So... after getting past my guilt, we started with the speech therapist.  Portia is her name and repetition is her game.  I am now happy to announce that he says, night-night, mama, more, no, ice, pogo, grandpa, daddy, go, and drink and is doing much more mumbling rather than the grunts and points.  We have also come back and thought on when he was a baby.  He was tongue tied, and because of lack of insurance, we haven't taken him for a check up to see if it has receded, so he also might have a little tongue situation as well.  So... here's to Dylan and a future of not getting him to shut his trap!  LOL

2 comments:

Jill said...

Love Dylan's nick-name . . . I actually use the same one for Dallin :) And I am all for speech therapy!!! Dallin was two years old and not saying anything - not even Mom or Dad. He had a few truck sounds but that was all. So our pediatrician hooked us up with a speech therapy program and it was great! Now he is a jabber-box :) And we love it!!!

2-Fold said...

I am so happy that worked out for you, I was wondering if you ever gave them a call. I think the Early Intervention is a wonderful program and the boys love their therapist. You never realize how far behind until they test them. Connor and Logan are progressing quite well. Good luck and it sounds like he is doing really well.